Monday, May 21, 2012

My Memories of Mango


Come mango season and memories come alive of that first luscious bite, in fruit, drink, chutney, pickle, or dessert. Tune in to hear the stories of Indians and their mango nostalgia. As a special treat you'll find a range of timeless and experimental recipes too! Come join the fun. 'Tis after all, the season to mango! Share YOUR mango memory with us here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/yourpics/


My Mango Memories

961, Kanpur, Anita Roy (extreme left).


"The first word my little sister Nina said in Kanpur fifty years ago was "Aam" (mango). At the time, my brother (6), and I (5), were running around shouting excitedly, "Aam! Aam!" as someone had brought home several mangoes from the market. Nina felt our excitement and then shouted out her first word: "Aam!" She was less than a year old at the time."

Anita Büchert Roy Naïmi is a resident of Canada of Indian origin, and speaks six languages: English, French, Danish, Bengali,Hindi and Persian!

My Mango Memories

May 2008, Gurgaon, Nivedita Varshneya. 

"Mango - that eternally delicious fruit loved by children and adults alike. One of my most pleasant memories of the aam are of my one-year-old niece, Gargi, who decided she could not just watch the rest of us tucking into the fruit and crawled into the mango party. We watched her as she set about exploring the fruit her first summer, giving us victoriously gleeful smiles on her way."

Nivedita Varshneya works on natural resource management and sustainable agriculture. Promoting biodiversity conservation, including agro-biodiversity is both a passion and a full time job.

My Mango Memories

May 1994, Bangalore, Divya Sudarsanan

“One of the most vivid memories that I have involves sitting around the dining table with a basket of mangoes placed in front of us. I still remember our unbridled glee when we first ripped the skin with our teeth and devoured the pulpy mass as if it was our last supper. Our hands, faces, arms and parts of our legs had long, sticky, sweet trails, but we were just so happy that we continued eating till we had finished the entire basket."

Divya Sudarsanan loves mangoes. Can you tell? She is a staunch activist of eating mangoes with your hands. Only. All fork, spoon and knife eaters can kindly step off the nearest cliff.

My Mango Memories

1983, Mumbai, Geetanjali Moorthy.

"The more delectable of summer traditions with my grandmother was the making of mango jam, which began when I was around seven years old. Timed well such that my arrival coincided with that of the Alphonso mangoes in Bombay, the first fruit-seller to pass by was beckoned, haggled with and one kilo of precious, juicy mangoes were procured. Then began the delicious process of jam-making."

Geetanjali Moorthy is a foodie by nature. She gets gooey discussing recipes and can hold her hat as a chef. More on Geet's mango memories, and the recipe to her grandmother's delicious mango jam.

My Mango Memories

1961, New Delhi, Sohail Hashmi. Sohail (right) as a naturalist taking children on walks; and (left) as a boy in Andheria More.

"The Amraiyaan was located at what is today known as the Andheria Morh. The entire area stretched into endless Mango orchards planted during Mughal times and maintained by their owners, and regularly replanted. The growth of the trees was so thick that it was said that the rays of the sun never reached the ground and therefore the name Andheria Bagh."

Sohail Hashmi is a Delhi-based writer-film-maker with three main obsessions – language, culture and cuisine. More on Sohail's delightful mango memories here.

My Mango Memories

1987, New Delhi, Vidushi Talwar.

"Notoriously anti-mango since childhood, the one time I couldn’t resist them was in their raw, green, wonderfully vinegary sour form. Each summer, in preparation for mango pickle, my mother and grandmother would spend entire mornings chopping up kilos of raw mangoes, and laying them out on a sheet to dry. Post lunch, they would turn in for a nap. This was my chance to plan the great raw mango robbery!  I’d tip-toe in to the verandah with a steel plate, salt and red chili powder. I’d load my plate with as many mango pieces as possible and go hide in some corner of the house. A dash of salt and a hearty sprinkle of red chili later voila! we were in mango heaven."

Vidushi Talwar is a foodie by nature, writer by profession, and mango thief by choice. More on her mango-woes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment