Thursday, July 12, 2012

My aim is to win a medal at the Olympics

By Bharat Sharma

Comfort-wise, is it better to play in front of a home crowd or in the international arena?


Playing in front of the home the crowd is always special. The crowd really pushes you up when you are struggling. I come from the Southern India, but I love playing in Delhi. The courts there are the best in the country and a sizeable crowd turns up to watch the game.

How do you prepare yourself mentally before a big game?

Preparation is same for all the matches. I make sure I do my warm-up exercises and stretching properly. When I am tense before a match, I put my I Pod on. 
London Olympics - what are the expectations you have set for yourself?

It is going to be my first Olympics and the aim is to win a medal. My doubles partner Jwala Gutta and I have a realistic chance of a podium finish. The draw is going to be easier than what we get on the professional circuit as there is a limit to the players who can participate from a country. Though our recent results have not been great, we are working very hard and spending more time on the court to give ourselves a good chance in London.

How do you keep yourself fit for your sport?

I have a pretty simple routine. I spend three hours in the gym daily and eat healthy. I come from Coorg where you tend to eat a lot of fried non-vegetarian stuff, but I mostly stay away from it. Whenever I get time off badminton, I tell my mom to make my favourite curd rice.

India is a cricket country; do you think your sport is underrated?

Well, unfortunately no sport in our country can be compared to cricket. Players like Saina Nehwal and Pullela Gopichand have helped our sport's popularity but there is still a long way to go. The survival is even harder for doubles players like me. Singles players get more money and attention in India. There is nothing wrong with that but a lot of parents still don't want their kids to take up doubles. Jwala and I won the bronze at World Championships last year but not many people are aware of it. However, we did great reception after winning the gold in the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

Tell us about a memory that is etched in your mind that proves to you that you cannot do without mom.

Normally a daughter is more attached to her father, but it is opposite in my case. I am what I am because of my mom's unconditional support. I can't imagine a time when I can do without her. All those times when I was low and upset, she was there.

What is the message you would like to give your mom?

She will be in London to see me playing so I have not really thought what I would say to her before leaving. In fact, my father and younger brother would also be there.

How has mom been an influence in your life, professionally and personally?

As I have said earlier, my mom has been the biggest influence in my life. Ever since I was a child, she has been there for me. From waiting for my practice to get over at the youth centre in Bangalore to juggling her work hours to ensure my playing routine is not affected. Even after I moved to Hyderabad to train further, she has ensured that I don't feel home sick. She has truly been an inspiration.
We also spoke to Cauvery Ponnappa, Ashwini's mother. Here are the excerpts:

At what point in your life did you know that she would take up badminton as a career?

Ashwini was a hyperactive child. I remember when she was two and half years old, she found an old badminton racket at home. My husband and I used to roll the paper in shape of a ball and throw it towards her. She struck the ball well every time we did that. That is how she picked up the sport and we knew she would be good at it.

Tell us some traits about your daughter that makes her perfect for this sport.

She has got powerful shoulders, something which is essential for the attacking game. And as I said earlier, she was very active as a kid and did not like sitting at one place. May be that is one of the reasons why she moves so well on the court.

How have you encouraged your child to take up this sport?

I don't think without encouragement any kid could get to the level Ashwini has. My husband and I used to take her for practice every day at the youth centre in Bangalore. Her father is a former hockey player and always wanted Ashwini to play some sport. A child can get bored of anything very quickly but we ensured she never reached the saturation point. Ashwini's coaches saw immense talent in her and told us that one day she would make us proud.

What kind of food habits would you suggest for moms who are training their kids for full-time sports?

I would suggest a diet rich in vitamin D. We eat a lot of meat in our community, but too much of it is not good for health. Nuts like almonds, walnut and cashew are a must for a sportsperson. Besides that green vegetables and sea food is also an important part of an athlete's diet.

What message would you like to give your daughter before the Olympics?

I will be there in London so I don't have anything particular in mind. Anyway, I always tell her to keep our country in mind while playing and not worry too much about the result. Just play and have fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment